121 Responses

1. Andrew January 13, 2011 / 10:37 am

Thanks James, This look great! I look forward to trying it out!

2. Govpatel January 14, 2011 / 11:15 am

I have been using buddypress humanity is same as your plugin a math question if I install this plugin will it work on buddypress signup form or will it replace the form.

• Govpatel March 27, 2011 / 9:51 am

Hello James

Thank you for the plugin and am using it now. have question I am using Contact form 7 and is there any way I can add the security question in the form as I started getting spams from the form.

Govpatel

3. James January 14, 2011 / 11:39 am

Govpatel,

It won’t replace the signup form. I use a particular set of hooks to handle placement of the question. The only I can think why it wouldn’t work with that theme is if they are using a function name that happens to be the same as one of mine but that’s a super remote chance. What I don’t know is which would take precedence over the other. I’m thinking you wouldn’t want both on your signup forms. You can chose to not use the signup function in my plugin at all and just use it for comments and logins if you want.

• Rocco Marchionda March 19, 2011 / 5:11 pm

Is there a way to get the math question above the “Submit” button? Woops, I see you did that right below. How can I do that? Thanks for your time, love the plugin. 🙂

4. Jim Verzino January 18, 2011 / 9:50 am

I have installed and activated the Block-Spam-By-Math-Reloaded plugin but it does not show the math question. I am using WordPress 3.0.4. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

5. Jim Verzino January 18, 2011 / 9:52 am

Nevermind. Just got it working. Had to reset the settings. Thanks.

6. Marco January 20, 2011 / 10:48 am

Hi,
    i implemented your plugin, but when somebody wants to send a commentary, it doesn’t end loading. The only thing i changed in your php-file was the language presented on the site. Do you know what’s the problem?
    Thanks!

• James January 20, 2011 / 9:42 pm

No, I can’t think of anything off hand. If you like, you can send me your version of the php file at webmaster at realitywired dot com and I’ll take a look.

7. Juan February 2, 2011 / 4:50 pm

Hi,
    Thanks James for your plugin it works great!. I have one question, how can I change the location of the ‘bsbm_form’ div, I’d like to move the question before the submit button. Thank You Very Much!

• James February 3, 2011 / 12:39 pm

the plugin uses a hook for placement. I’ll look into an update to provide manual placement.

8. Kesava Belletty March 4, 2011 / 4:36 am

This works flawlessly. My website isn’t even that popular, yet I was getting huge amounts of comment spam that was being caught my Akismet, but I wanted to find a way to prevent it all together.

I installed this and straight away it stopped all of the spam, in reality I don’t even need Akismet because it seems your plugin isn’t beatable by the usually spammers methods.

It would be good to be able to change the “IMPORTANT! To be able to proceed…” message and also change the placement.

But really a very simple and fantastic plugin. I wouldn’t even say you need manual placement, but if it was ‘above’ the Submit button, that would be good.

9. James March 4, 2011 / 10:49 am

Thanks for the comment Kesava. I’m looking at getting those enhancements added.

10. Teresa March 6, 2011 / 3:15 pm

Ditto on Kesava’s comment. Great plug-in, thanks! Just needs some usability tweaks:
    1) please put the form above the Submit button
    2) a) make the “important” message text editable in the settings and let us show or hide it, or
    b) correct the wording to: “…you need to solve the preceding simple math…” or
    c) leave the words the same but move the message to appear right below “Security Question”.
    Thank you!

11. James March 6, 2011 / 5:23 pm

No problem guys, I’ve been working on an update to cover most of these issues and it should be out later this week.

12. Matt March 7, 2011 / 8:46 am

Love the plugin – just wanted to add my vote for the ability to put the form above the Submit button. Thanks 🙂

13. Marina Orlova March 8, 2011 / 5:52 pm

I installed the plugin (3.1 WordPress) but it won’t show for Registration Page.. it will show for Login if I choose that option, but it won’t show if a person tries to register.

Any idea why?

Thanks!

Marina

• James March 8, 2011 / 10:56 pm

Marina, it looks like I didn’t include the user registration form in the options. If you can wait a bit I’m hoping to have the updated version of this plugin ready to upload sometime tomorrow (on wed.) but Thursday at the latest and I’ll make sure it addresses this problem for you.

14. James March 9, 2011 / 4:46 pm

Hey everybody, just an fyi that version 2.0 of this plugin has been released and should be available in the plugin repository.

15. Aaron March 10, 2011 / 6:39 pm

The update has removed all the HTML from my “Empty Field Error Message” and “Incorrect Answer Error Message” boxes. If I put it back in and save it, it disappears again. It currently only allows me to use basic text.

Just thought you should know.

• James March 10, 2011 / 6:55 pm

Can you post the exact string you are trying to use? WordPress filters the html but as long as it’s kses allowed then you should be able to use it.

• Aaron March 12, 2011 / 8:51 pm

It is basic code like text centering tags and inserting images tags, whenever I type it in and save the settings, it disappears. This never happened in the first version.

• James March 12, 2011 / 10:02 pm

That’s because in the previous version there was no sanitizing, anything could be put in those fields. Now, the fields are sanitized via the wp_filter_kses function.

You would need to modify the $allowedtags array to add whatever tags you want to use or just edit the plugin to remove the wp_filter_kses filter in the bsbm_options_validate function.

16. Haroun Kola March 11, 2011 / 5:13 am

Hi
    the form is appearing on my comment forms, but I’ve not selected it in the settings;

Comment forms Display security check on all comment forms.

Any ideas what’s going on?

• James March 11, 2011 / 10:03 am

Yep, programmer error.Fixing it now, look for the update shortly.

17. carly johansen March 11, 2011 / 9:58 am

i dowloaded you plugin for my blog but mistyped my email so you have sent an ativation code out that i cannot access i deinstalled then reinstalled plugin but its still asking for activation code
    carly

• James March 11, 2011 / 10:03 am

I just replied to your email Carly. I’ve made an update to fix Haroun’s issue so I’ll look at handling this before I release it later today.

18. James March 12, 2011 / 10:08 am

Just an FYI.. released another update v.2.1, I think you guys will like this much better and addresses some of the issues noted since the v.2.0 release.

19. GG March 13, 2011 / 3:31 am

this is a nice plugin
    btw, i think that there is two things this plugin Must Have:
    1) option to not require logged-in users bein spam-filtered
    2) option to use gd-rendered picture instead of text

• James March 13, 2011 / 12:08 pm

Yes, I like the option to not require logged in uses to be filtered, I’ll look at that one. The whole graphic thing though, kind of defeats the purpose of the plugin so I’m not sure about that one, have to think on it.

20. Tyler March 13, 2011 / 11:05 am

Liked the plugin until the latest update. Mandatory email registration is obnoxious, ESPECIALLY since it splashes it across every page in the admin area! Why on earth do you need my email? Uninstalled it instead.

• James March 13, 2011 / 12:07 pm

I’m looking at that whole process. The next release should make it better, but the registration isn’t required to use the plugin like some are.

21. GG March 14, 2011 / 5:47 pm

hohoho
    solution:

if (is_admin()) {
    wp_register_style(‘bsbm.css’, $bsbm_fullpath . ‘bsbm.css’);
    wp_enqueue_style(‘bsbm.css’);
    }

“!” is missed before is_admin()
    coz bsbm.css causes troubles in wp-admin

22. Matt March 15, 2011 / 9:41 am

Hi James. I recently applied the lastest plugin upgrade (v2.1) and it has ‘broken’ the drag-and-drop feature for custom menus. When I deactivate the plugin I can drag-and-drop my custom menu items again. I’ve also been through all my other plugins to isolate the issue and it’s definitely Block Spam by Math Reloaded that’s causing it. I’m using WP v 3.1. Any ideas?

• James March 15, 2011 / 9:48 am

Can you give me an example to look at?

• Matt March 15, 2011 / 10:13 am

Sure, here’s a link to a screen grab of the Custom Menu section in admin. You can see the layout is slightly broken along with the drag-and-drop functionality.

Thanks for looking into this 🙂

• James March 15, 2011 / 10:30 am

Got it. Look around line 74 of the plugin file.

Find:
      if (is_admin()) {

Change that to:
      if ($_GET['page'] == 'bsbm') {

It’s something to do with my style sheet I use for the options screen. This should force it to load only when this plugin option screen is loaded. I’ll add this to the next update if I don’t come up with a better way, since the WP function doesn’t do what it should.

• Matt March 15, 2011 / 11:23 am

Yep, that’s done it. Many thanks 🙂

23. William Stewart March 16, 2011 / 11:30 am

It’s annoying that you require my email before the nag messages go away on the entire WordPress backend. It’s one thing to politely ask, but to pester people until they give it to you is bad business.

24. Richard Kauffman March 16, 2011 / 4:50 pm

Will this plugin integrate, or work with, Gravity Forms? If so how do I get it to recognize a Gravity Form?

• James March 16, 2011 / 5:31 pm

I don’t use Gravity Forms so I can’t be sure but I would assume you would need to use a manual placement somewhere in their plugin code adding the same hook location you would use in the default WordPress comments. (The third option in the plugin beta settings).

25. Will March 17, 2011 / 4:20 pm

New version of plugin is fantastic except for one thing. Is it possible to make it so that the security check isn’t needed for admins? I’m unable to comment via the dashboard or my iPhone app and it would make my day if it was possible. Thanks!

26. Tom Coady March 18, 2011 / 6:50 am

I entered my email address as directed but never received nag relief. Checked spam etc.

27. Kirsten March 20, 2011 / 8:24 am

I liked the earlier versions of your plugin. Really. But now the whole registration is annoying. On the one hand you ask politely to register, on the other hand, users are forced to register if they want to get rid of the message which is visible all over backend. Really annoying.
    And on top of this, since version 2.1 it doesn’t even work anymore on several of my web sites… So I went back to the simple but nice and working version 1.0 (luckily, I still had a copy) and will see if you are going to change the registration process (though I registered, just out of curiosity to see if the plugin then will work, but I wouldn’t normally do it esp. if I feel that I’m forced to) and simply get it to work again. Otherwise – it’s a pity – but I will have to look for alternative solutions…

28. Annie March 21, 2011 / 8:27 am

hello, excellent plugin.
    just a little thing :
    submit is before, not after, how can i change ? (i have change on block spam ……… php “what is” with “que fait”…)
    (sorry for my english)

29. James March 23, 2011 / 1:20 pm

Just pushed a quick update removing the nag message.

• Mike March 23, 2011 / 7:06 pm

Great. I feel so much better now. Phew.

30. mike March 24, 2011 / 5:24 am

Hi

the plugin is not compatible with the menus in the admin panel : only the last one in the list can be edited or moved.

• James March 26, 2011 / 6:11 pm

Make sure you have the latest update installed.

31. Jill Williams April 11, 2011 / 10:51 am

I have two issues.

This great plugin was working fine for us, until one day it just stopped working, i.e. math questions don’t show up on comment forms (that’s all we use it for). version 2.1.1 of plugin with WP 3.1 and 3.1.1. Do you have any ideas what caused this?

The second problem is that I tried to register (more than once), never got an email, followed all the t-shooting. Either this needs to work, or you need to get rid of it.

32. satis May 21, 2011 / 4:44 am

Hi there.
    Nice plugin. I am using Block Spam By Math Reloaded ( v.2.1.1 ) on WordPress Multisite 3.1.2

This plugin, doesnot display the math question for blog administrators while adding a new user , however prevents the administrator from adding users from his wp-admin and outputs a message like below.

“Oops! Looks like you answered the security question incorrectly.”

Could you give me an idea, what could be causing this issue and how could i fix this.

Thanks and much appreciation for releasing a cool plugin like this.

33. Xplosiv May 25, 2011 / 3:14 am

I administrate for a local newspaper which was getting a load of spam. Although Akismet dumped them in the spambucket, I still had to trawl through to see if any were legit comments. I installed this about 2 weeks back (using 2.1.1 with WP 3.1.2) and haven’t received a single spam comment, not one! Other comments still streaming in fine.
    Great plug-in that really works. Thanks.

34. jmj586 May 25, 2011 / 10:38 pm

Hello,
    I like your plugin.
    When I use the log in to my wordpress admin,
    I was wondering if you can make the tab function work to go
    to the math question?
    The tab function works for name and password, but skips
    the question and goes to remember me.
    It would be more convienent to use tab instead of having
    to click on the math question each time.

Thanks

35. Ayush May 27, 2011 / 3:20 am

Easier than all the anti-spam comment protectors. Love it!
    Thanks for it!
    -Ayush

36. AJ May 28, 2011 / 5:49 pm

how can you add a math question to your website’s contact form?

37. Kelly June 17, 2011 / 2:49 pm

Everything works fine for me on the comment form on posts and pages.

Is there any way to either disable it when I reply via the dashbord or to add the form pieces so that I can do the math from the dashboard? All it does is display a red -1 on the bar below the reply when I click the submit button.

38. Brenda Granger June 28, 2011 / 11:13 pm

I’m having the same issue as Kelly, the process works fine for comments being posted on pages. But when I reply to a post from the WordPress Dashboard, I’m getting a -1 error message and cannot post the reply.

39. Ryan June 28, 2011 / 11:24 pm

One huge problem, when you are trying to respond to comments (as the admin) from the dashboard or logged in from the site you cannot reply to any comments, because it doesn’t prompt the math question. I can’t log out and try to reply directly on the site either.
    I am using the latest version of your plugin and wordpress.

Help!! this is a great plugin, but has this major flaw.

40. James June 29, 2011 / 2:12 pm

Ok guys, haven’t messed with this much due to a new j.o.b. but I will dig into it this weekend and try to get an update out addressing these issues. 🙂

41. James July 2, 2011 / 3:25 pm

An update has been posted to the codex that add the option to exclude users with “manage_options” permissions. Also added a tabindex setting.

Make sure you’ve installed version 2.2.0

42. Brenda Granger July 2, 2011 / 9:32 pm

Thank you, version 2.2 fixes the issue with inserting comment replies from the Dashboard.

43. Dan Coulter July 5, 2011 / 5:45 pm

I’ve just upgraded a site to use 2.2.0, but I’m still seeing this issue. One thing that might be different is that I’m using it on a sub-blog in a multisite install.

• James July 6, 2011 / 10:07 am

Dan, do you mean the admin issue? What areas are you seeing this? Everywhere or just some specific places. Are you logged in as a super admin or site admin? The exclusion is based on a specific permission level (‘manage_options’). My understanding is that should also cover site admins and super admins but that may not be the case.

• Dan Coulter July 7, 2011 / 10:29 am

James,

Sorry, yes, that is the issue I meant. I tested by adding myself as an admin on the sub-blog and it started working, so it looks like being a super-admin isn’t good enough.

Would it be possible to get you to change that permission level to moderate_comments so that editors on the sub blog can do this too? Alternatively, could you provide a filter on that value so that I could modify it without editing the plugin files?

• Dan Coulter July 7, 2011 / 2:21 pm

Sorry, I was mistaken. The plugin was disabled when I tested it. Even as an administrator of the blog, I’m still getting the red -1 when the plugin is enabled.

44. William July 5, 2011 / 10:12 pm

Hi,

I like your plugin. Only one thing if you could set focus on the box for the answer. At the moment you cannot fill in username, hit tab and then fill in password and again hit tab to go to the math box. Though your math box below it works with tab on this page.

Thanks,

William

• James July 6, 2011 / 10:03 am

William, make sure you are using the latest version of the plugin. In the plugin settings there should be a field for tabindex. Because forms can be dynamic I left it as a manual field so you can determine where in the tab order it falls. Try that and let me know.

45. Ryan Mitchell July 6, 2011 / 5:26 pm

James, thanks for taking the time to work on this! I got everything going on my site and will test it over the next week and will let folks know the results!

46. Anjaan July 8, 2011 / 2:50 am

Hello James, how do I add the security question before the submit button? Similar to how you have it on your blog here. BTW, please think of making this a default or allow admins place before or after in admin panel options.

Thanks!

• James July 10, 2011 / 1:19 pm

Look at the bottom of the plugin options page, there are some options for doing that. Most likely you can get by with the first option. If that doesn’t work you’ll have to use one of the others.

47. James July 10, 2011 / 1:30 pm

Hey everybody. Just pushed a v2.2.1 update into svn so it should be available shortly. This update should fix the admin issue when running WordPress in network mode. I ended up removing the Exclude Admin option that was added in v2.2.0 in favor of what should be a more flexible option. It’s now an Exclude WP user role. Basically you decide the lowest role you want to exclude and then anyone (single user or multi-user) should be excluded from having to deal with the security checks.

Also, when in network mode the Super Admin is automatically excluded.

I’ve been testing various scenarios for the past hour and all seems to work but you know how that goes. Hopefully I didn’t break anything else. 🙂

• Kelly July 11, 2011 / 3:51 pm

Thank you for taking the time to fix the admin issue!

This will save me LOADS of time each day. I’ve been turning the comment part of the plugin off and on in order to interact with my visitors yet remain protected from the spammers.

48. Sarangan July 11, 2011 / 6:09 am

I installed in a WordPress Multisite Version 3.2 site and even users enter the correct answer, plugin says wrong answer and rejects the registration. 🙁

Please help.

• James July 11, 2011 / 8:55 am

Thanks for letting me login to your site Sarangan. You are correct, this is still a problem but I know what it is so shouldn’t be too hard to fix. I’m on a plane most of today but should be able to get the update posted by tomorrow at the latest.

49. Ryan Mitchell July 22, 2011 / 6:51 pm

Thanks for the updates. I have been using the admin exclusion feature and it works great! Looking forward to the future tweaks you mentioned on July 11th!